Thai green curry with chicken
A beautifully fragrant coconut based curry with essential Thai ingredients like kaffir lime leaves, sweet basil, fish sauce, Thai aubergines, lemon grass, chicken and more. If you have ready made green curry paste, then making the curry is a breeze.
- 4 tbsp refined oil
- 4 tbsp green curry paste
- 1 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 4 nos kaffir lime leaves
- 400 gms boneless chicken cubes preferably chicken thigh pieces
- 2 1/2 tbsp fish sauce alternately, you can use soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp palm sugar alternately you can use regular sugar
- 1 cup pea aubergines and regular Thai aubergines you can use any other vegetables like mushrooms and bell peppers in case you don't find aubergines
- 1 no birds eye chili
- 1 no chili pepper for garnish
- Handful Sweet basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
In a frying pan or sauce pan, heat the oil and start by frying off the green curry paste. When the paste releases oil around the sides, add a cup of coconut cream and continue cooking over low heat for 5 minutes.
Tear the kaffir lime leaves with your hand and add to the curry.
Add fish sauce and palm sugar. Continue stirring and cooking.
Add the chicken pieces, chicken stock and the rest of the coconut cream.
At this point also add the vegetables.
Add the birds eye chili if you require more heat in the curry. Split the chili and then add for a higher kick.
Continue simmering over medium to low heat and when you see that your chicken is cooked, add the basil leaves. All you need is to tear up the basil leaves roughly with your hands and add them to the smooth curry.
Finally garnish with extra coconut cream, a large chili pepper and some basil leaves and serve with some steaming rice.