Do you think you will be able to make breakfast tomorrow morning for the gang ? – My speech was slurry
We will see tomorrow . Its 4 AM already when do you think you will sleep ?
Try to make something from the leftovers only – the inebriated yet responsible husband wakes up
We have Capsicum butter . Now allow me to sleep please
We also made grilled fish with red capsicum butter for Nabami, which actually can be used for any evening when friends and relatives drop in on a short notice.
I remember one such party, when we were still young and the Version 1.0 was yet to land in our lives. The guest list was my brother in laws and sister in law with her husband, along with 3 or 4 very close friends. We didn’t need an occasion ever, to have a party. Perhaps, informal gathering sessions are always like this. The alcohol on the house was unity in diversity. All of us were determined to get sloshed, no matter what. We had whisky (diff types), beer, Vodka , Jaggermeister for the main course and Grand Marnier, Baileys and Sheridon as the desserts.
Read – One such party with Hugh M Hefner which went wrong
While the party was in progress, my brother in law (he is a compulsive heart breaker and serial relationship jinxed young handsome man) broke the news of his break up. It was like a fire in a petrol pump station. Bottles started getting empty, speeches became slurry, shot glasses bought as a memorabilia from Greece and Turkey, broke into pieces until such time when people started passing out one after another. The mayhem ended on its own.
Next morning, with heavy eyelids and heavier heads when the gang woke up, breakfast was most in demand. Madhushree waves her magic wand and this was served as breakfast along with other stuff.
While writing this I (Anindya) realized that my relationship with bread is something worth sharing . So look out or the posts on bread stories
Capsicum Butter Cheese Toast
Time Taken: 20 minutes
|Red Capsicum Butter **||2 tbsp||Flour||1 1/2 tsp|
|Cheddar cheese||1 tbsp grated||Egg yolk (optional)||1|
|Milk||3/4 th cup||Salt and pepper||As per taste|
|Bread (whole wheat or white)||6 slices|
** For the recipe of Capsicum butter, please see Grilled fish with red capsicum butter
I had left over capsicum butter from my grilled fish recipe and it turned out to be a jewel of a quick breakfast.
- Prepare the bread slices by trimming the sides and cutting them into 2 triangles each.
- Pre heat the oven at 120 to 150 degree Celsius.
- Take a small saucepan and simply make a roux with flour and butter. First heat the capsicum butter for 1/2 a minute and add the flour and stir to make a thick paste. Control the temperature so as to not burn the butter. Continue cooking and stirring while making sure that the raw smell from the flour goes away.
- Add the milk very slowly while continuously stirring. This is to ensure that there are no lumps of flour. Bring it up to a boil at a medium heat.
- Once bubbles form, lower the temperature to the minimum and add the egg yolk. This gives the extra shine and silkiness to the paste/sauce.
- Once the egg yolk has been added, do not bring up the temperature since the egg may scramble at a higher heat. (In case you don’t want to add the yolk, then keep the bubbles on for a couple of minutes before moving on to the next step.)
- Add the cheese and salt and pepper and mix it thoroughly and continue cooking till it reaches a smearing consistency.
- Turn off the heat. Take the bread slices and smear them with the paste.
- Then place them all in the pre heated oven for about 8- 10 minutes till the bread slices turn crispy and golden
- Serve them hot as any snack or a side dish.