Everyone deserves a vacation and our house helps are not different. Our house helps are on Diwali vacation and what a time to go for the vacation . Its not that they are going for vacation for the first time since they have been associated with us but there are times when situations are extremely tricky and then resourcefulness, multi skilling, stretched working hours become regular feature and if you have a 2.5 year old cute brat at home then – patience , caring , energetic, flexibility are some traits which become extremely essential .
Every year the Diwali week becomes a very hectic week professionally coupled with personal commitments . Professionally all the clients have to be sent Diwali wishes religiously – after all its them who ensures that Lakshmi walks into your home. As a morning person, I am super active in the mornings which means all my Social Media activities , blog writing , Photo works get completed in the morning . Mayhem also happens in morning, where it seems every 10 minutes there is a doorbell and someone needs to be attended to along with Tugga ( my son) just waking up with morning tantrums seeking absolute attention . He has to be made ready for school , stories for making him brush his teeth, music to feed him breakfast .. phew … . Crazy it has been . Finally , with great effort we managed to fulfill the commitments with the Diwali lights getting fixed at midnight , the current issue of photography magazine being dropped into fish aquarium, the Diwali party getting fixed , Tugga being taken out and so on .
In the midst of all this somehow Madhushree cooked this up for the Diwali Lunch ( no , unlike most people we dont eat veg on Diwali / Kali Puja ) In her words – this dish is so easy to make with little prep time that without much effort you can elevate the taste of the meal and enhance the eating experience .
Let me know how you guys like it ….
1. Pomfret – Small or Medium – 2 Nos
For the marinade
1. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
2. Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
3. Salt to taste
For the Curry
1. Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
2. Kashmiri Red chiili Powder – 1 tsp
3. Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tsp (heaped)
4. Cumin powder – 1 tsp (heaped)
5. Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
6. Black mustard paste ( strained) – 2 tsp or more as per taste
7. Mustard Oil as per requirement
8. Salt to taste
9. A couple of green chillies
- Wash the fish and marinate it in the ingredients mentioned for about 10 minutes and then pan fry it in hot mustard oil .
- Make sure that you do not over fry the fish,lightly shallow fry it till its just cooked.
- Take it out of the pan and keep it on a kitchen towel.
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients except the green chillies and the mustard oil and make a paste by adding a little bit of water.
- Now use the same frying pan, add some more mustard oil. Once the oil starts to smoke out break a green chilly and toss it in .
- Now add the paste that you made out of various powders , reduce the heat and cook the masalas till the smell of the turmeric powder goes away.
- Add very little to ensure that the masalas dont burn.
- Add both the fishes and turn them over, add in a couple of slit green chillies , check the seasoning and turn of the gas .
Its ready !!!!!