Is ice cream seasonal? I would say yes and no. The cool cool ice cream is strongly connected with Summer. It is like a magic pill where you pop one and all issues related to the heat will be taken care of. Since childhood, I have grown up observing friends, family members and neighbors expressing indecent lust over ice cream. Amongst friends, I was like an alien who was never ever so keen in ice cream. I was that odd one who never eyed someone else’s ice cream and there have been times, when I have given away mine too. These were the times when ice cream used to get sold by the lone Ice cream cart seller, who used to move around the neighborhood throughout the day selling his product. Most of the times white in colour, with the varieties and prices printed on the top flap, the cart was a source of delight for many and now, can safely say source of orgasm also for few. The small lid on the base of the square storage unit, filled with dry ice was like the entrance to a fairy tale land and I still wonder, how the seller used to take out the required flavours without even looking inside.
When it comes to childhood memories, the ice cream seller and his white cart is a missing link. My son would never realise what it is to wait for the known sound of calling out – Ice Cream…Kwality Ice Cream! Yes, Kwality was the undisputed king then, although as child it raised a doubt why ‘quality’ in the text books gets spelt as kwality in ice cream. My son would never know this as not only these have got replaced by fancy, decorated company sponsored carts but he will also most probably see lots of ice cream parlours.
When I tried to figure out which one is the first ice cream parlour in Kolkata between Scoop and Indian Hobby centre, I felt from my heart that the Justice league of ice cream is here. Read this here. Ice cream for this blog remains very very special and makes it worth to revisit almost every year. We had our first brand assignment with Magnum Launch in Kolkata with Chef Kunal Kapoor and Soha Ali Khan launching the same in 2015. The Summer of 2015 was sinful for Madhushree and me. We had a Magnum almost, yes, almost every night. The waistlines responded happily thereafter.
We also made Masala chai ice cream with candied pea nuts as a recipe in the beginning – Read it here . We did a mess of the photography as the ice cream in the picture there but messy beginnings make the journey smoother later, isn’t it ? Or no?
This season, we made Coffee ice cream and this was one of the most hurried shooting not because we had to rush so that ice cream does not melt but also for the fact that I wanted to have one then, right there. At times lust makes you desperate. Yes, I confess at the age of 40, I have developed a subdued lust for ice cream and am enjoying that….
Pin these images for the recipe ?
Coffee Ice cream and our ice cream saga
- 1 Cup condensed milk
- 1/2 Cup Espresso
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- You need to have made your espresso in advance and cooled it down before using. The stronger, the better is how I like it.
- In a mixing bowl, take the heavy cream and whip it up till soft peaks are formed.
- Then slowly from one corner, pour the espresso, instant coffee powder (I used bru) and the condensed milk. You can adjust the quantity of the condensed milk as per the level of sweetness preferred by you as well as the strength and bitterness of the coffee.
- Whip it up further til everything incorporates beautifully and your whole house is smelling of strong coffee.
- Pour out the contents in a container, cover it and place it in the freezer.
- Let it be in there till the ice cream is set. Usually it takes about 6 hours but I prefer to keep it overnight before serving.
- While serving, you can dust some instant coffee powder for extra kick.